Friday, March 20, 2009

My Friday Night Date

Friday nights are special at our house. Every Friday night, Zachy & I have a special date together. It is our little secret...we sleep together in mommy's big bed!

A little history will help explain how this is not weird! Zachy's goal in life is to sleep with me. He always asks if he can sleep with me. He wakes me up at night requesting to snuggle in bed. Remember--this is the little boy who did not sleep through the night until he was 14 months old. As a baby, he'd wake up at least once a night, every night, just wanting to be held. This started when he was a newborn. He's always been snuggley and has loved to be held. I used to get up at night with him just to hold him for a while until he was OK to go back to bed. Apparently at nearly 5 years old, he still wants to snuggle with mommy.

So a few months ago, Zachy noticed on his normal trip upstairs to wake me up in the middle of the night that on Friday nights, daddy Jared is down in the office on the computer all hours of the night. I think Zachy got the pattern down of Friday night = daddy's in the office late, and so he seized the opportunity to sneak into bed with me. At first I would make him go back to bed, but after his persistence, I decided to just let the poor child sleep with me. Eventually, Zachy asked if he could go to bed with me on nights when daddy is in the office on the computer. I said yes, and thus began our Friday night dates.

All week he asks "is today Friday?" Once he knows it is Friday, he will look at me, smile, and wink. He knows what that means. So, at night we put Taylor to bed, then JP goes to bed. Then, Zachy and I sneak quietly to mommy's room. We snuggle, talk, read, sometimes watch TV together, and eventually, say prayers and turn out the lights. We go to sleep. Eventually daddy Jared comes to bed and I carry the sleeping boy downstairs to his bed.

We love our little Friday night dates. Zachy LOVES me; truly, deeply LOVES me. He tells me I'm pretty, always wants to sit in my lap, hold my hand, and even thanks me for making his lunch or says "mommy, you did a fantastic job cleaning the kitchen!" Zachy always makes me feel so wanted and appreciated, and I have to admit, I simply adore him too!!! Who could ask for a better Friday night date than this cute little guy?

No comments:

Post a Comment