Friday, April 17, 2009

The Thrown Rock


Today I went to pick up JP from school. I parked right in front of the front doors of the school where parents can pull up and park while they wait for kids. It was busy, kids everywhere. I let Zachy go inside and get JP while Taylor and I waited in the van. The boys emerged, got in the van, and strapped themselves in their seats. JP sits in the back of the van on the driver's side in his booster. I was ready to pull out when we heard a small popping sound and then the back window shattered. My first thought was someone was shooting so I yelled for my kids to get down. It was not a good feeling. Then, when no more sounds came, I looked back and saw the back window was shattered. I asked JP if he was alright because as you can see, he was right next to the shattered window. He said he was OK but scared. Taylor and Zachy were scared too. So was I!
I had them get out and I got out of the van. A mom was next to the car and asked if we were OK. Her daughters said they saw a boy throw a rock and hit our van. (Not on purpose I'm sure--just being naughty.) So the school secretary came out and talked to the boy who allegedly threw the rock. He denied it, and I was not surprised. His mom was right there with him and she said "that would be out of character for him to throw a rock." But the other two girls insisted they saw him throw the rock.
So the school took down his name and I guess the school principal will shake him down on Monday to get a confession. Will he have his Miranda rights read first? Probably not! Meanwhile I calmed down my kids, called my auto insurance company, scheduled to get a new window on Monday morning, and then I called the police. The police came out a made a report. I did this for insurance purposes but the officer said it was serious, JP could have been hurt or one of the other many kids standing by the van when the rock was thrown, and he added that if he can get the name of the rock thrower, the city will prosecute the boy if I am willing to cooperate. I said "you are kidding. He was just a kid." The officer said any child over the age of 8 can be prosecuted as a juvenile and the city will do it.

I told the officer I just want the kid (or his parents) to pay for the damage. I think it will be hard to get down to the bottom of who actually did it, but the officer and the school principal assured me that kids are easy to crack and other kids are always willing and eager to rat each other out. Nice. I don't think it is necessary to prosecute the child, but I guess it depends on how sorry he is, and whether his parents are willing to pay for the damage. We'll see.
So in the meantime we have glass all over the van, no backwindow, and a million places to be this weekend with a van that's "all jacked up" as Taylor says. Bad timing. But thankfully no one was hurt. :)

3 comments:

  1. American friend found your blog mavilhoso. I love your country. I do not want to make the Brazilian President to the IMF money. And our people need a good medical care, public safety and so on. Hug a friend of the Manoel Limoeiro Brazil.


    Friend love you like you were my follower on my blog. Do it please ok baby. A hug from: Manoel do Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I am glad that no one was hurt, especiall since JP sits right there where the rock hit. Kids do crazy things without thinking of the consequences, but I hope the kid who threw the rock will have to pay to have it replaced. That is how they learn. Just glad that no one was hurt and the trauma wasn't too much for your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too do not want to make the Brazilian President to the IMF money. Viva la Toledo!

    I'm glad that everyone's OK. Quite the adventure.

    ReplyDelete